Wednesday 7 February 2018

Fun times!

 Just one 6 1/2" block to make this week for Aves - leaving plenty of time for other projects!

I may revisit this one at some point - I think that I could do better in trying to preserve the points of the Seminole bands.  I need to remember that I should just persevere with an accurate 1/4" seam, not be swayed by someone who found her block came up slightly short, and try to compensate in my own work by using a scant seam allowance.  Clearly not the right thing to do for me!
 On a larger scale I started the layout of my HST blocks.
 Can you see that it's mostly blues in the middle, then purple on the top left and 'warm' on the top right?
 After that it went slightly to pot - the delight of scrap quilts is that you are working with what you have in your scraps, of course, so 'brown' and 'grey' were quite loose interpretations in the lower corners!  In real life it seems to read OK though.  I need to get the backing and batting cut for this as it's now sewn together.
 I decided to use my small scraps from a recent mini quilt this week too.  Made as a 'quilt as you go' block I used what I had to make a mini quilt - scrap wadding, backing, binding....

It wasn't quite right though.  That top RH white triangle was too shouty - and was arguing with the focus triangle in the centre.
The solution?  Play with my Inktense pencils to colour in that top triangle.  It's close enough to what I want to make me happy!

The final touch is my 'maker' scissors - a badge of honour, I like to think!  One of several pins that I bought from Jodie Carleton of Ric Rac.

Another quilt (roughly 8" x 11") formed from the leavings of other projects.  Very satisfying!

2 comments:

  1. That pin is perfect! It made a dramatic difference that took the mini from "meh" to "Oh, cool!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the HST quilt - lovely effect! And great use of assorted scraps from the HST s to the mini! But the first block is my fave - such bright sunny colours!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.