Wednesday 7 January 2015

Snowball Finish!

As I've more or less given up sewing for the first two months of the year (I know, I know, harsh, but I have to give myself time to catch up with my scrapbooking - I'm a third of a lifetime of my younger DD behind - that's over three years!) you should make the most of this quilty photo!

I'm really pleased with how the red diagonals cross - and quite proud that I managed to piece it all with the directional print (a Riley Blake that I've been unwilling to cut into!) actually heading in the right direction.

The quilting (hard to see, I know) was a freestyle approach to echo quilting starting with an 'on point' square in the red snowball block that marks where the diagonals cross over.  It created a nicely off centre focus for the quilting.

I might put a tutorial up for this quilt - despite it taking a long elapsed time for me, it is actually a quick one to make, as only half the blocks are pieced, and they are only snowball blocks, so not at all tricky!  This one is 66" x 42" - and originally I called it 'Butterfly stars' when I was planning the layout in Quilt Pro.

I like the secondary stars that appear when you make this.  Perhaps I'll cut up my scraps later in the year and make a scrappy version.  Another thing for the sewing list!

So this is my October quilt finished.  Only the November one still to make to complete my 'twelve to give away' set!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this quilt! Very clever use of snowball block indeed. You remind me that I haven't scrapbooked in ages--the sewing has taken over my room for right now; I am trying to catch up on our travel binder--I have all the pictures in there in pocket pages, but no written notes...I hope you'll keep posting about your scrapbooking exploits...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I have realy like this - don't think ive seen one before, I saw the stars then read the words and had to look for the snowballs. Tutorial would be lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.