Wednesday 19 November 2014

Off the Cuff

 Or, perhaps, ON the cuff?

I made a cuff book  earlier in the year, from a frayed shirt and part of the sleeve fabric.  To my shame I can't remember which blog I picked up this idea from, but it's not an original idea from me, I'm afraid.

This is the outside when it's buttoned up.
 This is how it looks when you open it.  I made the pages different lengths.
 My 'title page'.
 The early part of the year.  It rained (a lot!) then the grass grew......  Okay, okay, I never said that it was going to be an interesting book!
 Later in the year we went to Barcelona and I started stitching this sat outside the Aquarium there whilst the rest of the family went in.
This page represents the journey that I made down to see my Dad every week after he was admitted first to a Hospice, then to a nursing home.

It shows the train tracks, the lavender farm I went past, the orchards, the other fields, and a river.  There were two main routes.  Both of them took me past parts of the Medway and the Thames.
This shows the Thames again - running through the Borough where we live and where the girls both go to school.  DD2 is still at St Marys, DD1 moved to Waldegrave school with a swan logo this year.  They both love to read, but DD1 finds it hard with her dyslexia.

It's been fun to stitch this over the year, although I had hoped that I'd be able to manage this simple stitching on the train journeys, which wasn't the case!  never mind, I kept up to date with Radio 4 comedies, dramas and some other podcasts that I might not otherwise have made time to listen to.

If you've got an old shirt ready for recycling, maybe you'd like to make a cuff book too?  I can recommend them as a splendidly portable project!

5 comments:

  1. What a lot of wonderful memories you have stitched into your cuff book. So sorry to read about your Dad, although I lost my parents also I feel they are with me always. Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so very charming. I really love the rustic appeal and the vintage look on the scraps from the shirt sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely range of memories you have captured in this - even if some of them were about the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind wearing your heart on your sleeve - why not wear a book on your sleeve ... fab idea! And ah, the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I can assure readers it's just as fab in real life - a lovely project Plum!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.