Wednesday 28 September 2011

Birthday Bonanza!

It's been a funny week.  Not much sewing with the machine (apart from making a fitted rip-stop nylon case for a large (1.6 metres long, by 40cm sort of wide) L shaped piece of foam.  It looks neat, will help prevent injury (we hope) if the girls land on the edge of the decking near the swing and is not in place because I am trying to quilt the garden by stealth (although that is an excellent idea - like yarn bombing but more private!).

I did manage a little hand sewing.  Unusually for me these days it was counted cross stitch - here are three unfinished items (!).  I had a plan for my girl friends to make needle cases in an evening of crafting and chatting.  They made lovely ones and I failed completely to photograph any of them.  Sorry - they were super and should have been shared!

They also turned the evening into an extended birthday celebration for me - the lovely things brought along cake (with candles), flowers and a lovely gift.  I am VERY lucky to have such wonderful friends who are so kind and generous.

I also had other brilliant birthday presents - these are handmade ones (the super bag by Benta, all sorts of fabric flowers and other bits by Avril, and the splendid lavender bag hand sewn by Alex, my niece, which is fab).  I also got a splendid range of books from my family members - quilts and coverlets at the Beamish Museum, books on drawing and painting, novels....... I was really spoiled!

I hardly know what to do next, with so many ideas!  I do know that I'll be going along to hear Jan Hassard talk at my quilting group on Monday evening, though.  If you can make it to near Kew Gardens on Monday evening, why don't you join me?

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Plum!
    It looks like you had a great day! I hope there was cake as well??
    Sadly I'm nowhere near your quilting group - I've heard Jan before and done a workshop with her - thoroughly recommended! and I see you're doing a workshop in November on chickens!!! can you give us any sneaky peeks??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Plum. I adore the concept of quilting the garden by stealth. I have only managed bunting so far but I'm excited by your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the name check! sounds like a lovely girly evening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I always appreciate it and will try to respond.